How to create a Ghibli Background - Marens way

Friday, August 14, 2015

How to create a Ghibli Background - Marens way

After a long time posting about my redesign I'll show you a new tutorial!


Time: 4hours  
Software: Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop  
Textures: cgtextures.com

It's about the famous Ghibli House of "Spirited Away" which I recreated in a vintage vector style. Here's the way you can do it on your own:

1. Look for a picture which you want to recreate and build the basic shapes in illustrator.


2. Create the basic shadows and some basic details like windows, doors or stones.


3. Now you have to get more into detail. It is up to you how much time you spend in this part. You can create an abstract background or you can do an absolutely realistic artwork which would look great! For me it is something in between. More abstract than realistic because I am not that patient :-P


4. Let's switch to photoshop for some nice effects and finalization: I decided to give my ghibli background a vintage/wooden look which means some wooden image as an overlay and a vignette are a must have. 
First I was looking for some textures here: www.cgtextures.com and added some grass structure exactly on the grassy part (where you can use the Magic Wand Tool). Cut out the grass where it should be and set the layer blending mode to "hard light".


5. Then I added a wooden texture all above the image and set the layer blending mode to "overlay" as well as the vignette which I painted with a smooth brush at the corners.


That`s it!
You can easily customize this tutorial by using some other textures or more details.
But what you really should keep in mind is to spend time in details when creating a background. You will need a lot of time for this but this is what makes your artwork more professional and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment